Student mobility program (Erasmus+)

General Information

Erasmus+ is a European Union (EU) program offered to the students of the Physics Department, aiming at their education and training, as well as the enhancement of their skills and future employment perspectives. This program combines all relevant EU programs, for example the Integrated Lifelong Learning Program (LLP), Youth in Action and international cooperation programs. The Erasmus+ program involves the 27 member states of the European Union as well as the EU associated countries e.g. Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey. More information on the Erasmus + Program is available at the web link of the Department of International and Public Relations of the University of Ioannina.

Under Erasmus+, students (undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral candidates) can complete part of their study program in another European country (3-12 months, depending on their cycle of study) and / or they can be trained in internships (placement, 2-12 months). Students can move abroad through Erasmus+ during all their 3 cycles of study (1st, 2nd, 3rd) separately and repeatedly. By participating in this program, students gain valuable experience in a diverse educational, research, work and social environment, and improve their knowledge of both the host country and English languages. Under the Erasmus+ program the students receive a monthly grant, the amount of which depends on the host country.

The Department of Physics has established eligibility and selection criteria for the Erasmus + Program. These are described in detail in the related file. These criteria are intended to ensure the best possible academic performance and knowledge of the instruction language in the host university (English or other foreign language) of the Program participants, as well as their objective classification within their selection procedure implemented and followed by the Department of Physics for each Program cycle.

The call for applications to the Erasmus+ program is made annually by the University of Ioannina Erasmus Office (International Relations Department), usually at the beginning of the spring semester. The call is posted on the Physics Department's Web site. A detailed description of the application procedure is available on the website of the Department of International Relations of the University of Ioannina.

The selection of the participants in the Program is based on a procedure established by the Physics Department and the results of the selection procedure, which is usually completed by June, are posted on the Physics Department website.

Associate Prof. Nikolaos Hatzianastassiou is the Erasmus+ Program Coordinator for the Department of Physics. For more information and clarifications regarding Erasmus+, the interested students can send an email to: nhatzianatuoi.gr. Students may be continuously informed about the Program on days and hours announced by the departmental Erasmus+ Physics Coordinator, as well as upon meetings scheduled by sending an email to the previous email address.

 

Studying abroad with Erasmus+

Undergraduate students of the Department of Physics, within the framework of the European Erasmus + program, have the opportunity to study for one to two semesters in universities of European Union countries with which the Department has signed bilateral student exchange agreements (XLSX file).

The basic requirements for participation in the Erasmus+ Program for Studying Abroad are the following:

  • Minimum stay of 3/6 months for undergraduate/Master students and maximum stay of 12 months. Usually, the scholarships are allocated for a semester

  • Students must be enrolled in at least their second year of study in their host University (Ioannina)

  • Existence of a bilateral student exchange agreement with the preferred host Institution

  • Foreign language proficiency, as described in the bilateral exchange agreement with the selected host institution (usually at least B2 level)

The call for applications is made during the spring semester of each academic year and concerns mobility to be done in the following academic year (winter or spring semester). The student applications are evaluated and ranked, and the selection is made on the basis of the number of posts (personal mobilities) assigned to the Department by the University. The University of Ioannina allocates a scholarship, 80% of which is awarded prior to the departure of students. The remaining 20% ​​is awarded to them after their return, provided that they have fulfilled their academic goals (that is they have followed and succeeded the examinations in the host institution abroad).

All necessary information is provided in the relevant file.

 

Placement (internship) abroad with Erasmus+

The Erasmus+ program gives students (undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD students) the opportunity for placement (internship)  in Companies, Research Centers, Industries, Laboratories, Hospitals, Schools, Institutions and other organizations in foreign countries.

Contrary to studying abroad with Erasmus+, Internships do not require a bilateral agreement between the University of Ioannina and the host institution.

The call for applications is made during the spring semester of each academic year and concerns mobility to be done during the following academic year. The internship can start from the beginning of the next academic year (usually September) and can be for 2 to 4 months.

Applications are evaluated and ranked, and the selection is made on the basis of the number of posts (personal mobilities) assigned to the Department by the University. The University of Ioannina allocates a scholarship, 80% of which is awarded prior to the departure of students. The remaining 20% ​​is given upon their return, subject to the successful completion of the Internship, which is documented/based on the report of the internship completion written and signed by the supervisor. The Department approves the successful completion of the Erasmus+ Internship and grants 3 ECTS, while the Internship is also listed in the Diploma Supplement awarded by the Department.

All necessary information is provided in the relevant file.